The annual PA dog license can be ordered online, obtained through the county treasurer’s office or bought at local pet stores/license dealers.
A lifetime dog license can only be obtained through the county treasurer’s office. In order to obtain a lifetime license for your dog(s), you will need to provide the following 2 forms:
- Lifetime PA dog license application
- Permanent identification verification form
- this form must be provided along with the lifetime license application to verify your dog has permanent identification via microchip or tattoo
- If you’ve adopted from To Love a Canine Rescue, Inc., we can provide a copy of the signed form at the time of adoption if requested; otherwise, you can have your vet scan your dog to confirm the chip ID and sign the form for you when you take your dog for his/her first vet visit shortly after adoption
Pennsylvania law requires dogs and cats over 3 months of age to have a current rabies vaccination.
Dogs over the age of 7 months must be licensed
- Dog owners are required to apply to the licensing clerk for their local municipality
- Dog owners must present proof hat a licensed veterinarian has vaccinated the dog against rabies and that the duration of immunity from that vaccination extends through at least ten months of the twelve-month licensing period
- An exemption to the rabies inoculation requirement shall be granted if the owner presents written certification from a licensed veterinarian that the dog cannot be vaccinated due to a medical condition or course of therapy
Dogs 6 months & older must be licensed
- Dog owners must present proof hat a licensed veterinarian has vaccinated the dog against rabies
- the duration of time that the dog license is valid is based on the expiration date of the rabies vaccination
- Dog licenses are purchased from your local county